Centre for International Policy Studies
Welcome to The Centre for International Policy Studies (CIPS) is the coordinating body for new and ongoing research undertaken by academics in International Politics and related disciplines at City , University of London.
Our purpose is to share and develop techniques for informing decision-makers outside academia - in government, business, the armed forces, and/or non-governmental and civil society organisations, as well as the media - about the research findings of City academics in their respective fields of expertise.
At the core of this endeavour is a commitment to engage policymakers (in the public, private and non-governmental sectors, as appropriate) more directly in the identification and formulation of research projects in order to prepare for effective dissemination of research findings.
This does not mean that policymakers will be given the lead on the choice and conduct of research projects. Rather, the aim is to spark the interest of potential end-users of the research at an early stage, so that they are keen to learn about the findings when these become available.
- Social Movements and Civil Society (SMCSRG), a forum for dialogue and debate on questions of domestic and transnational activism, economic and social justice, social movement strategy, and civil society
- The Obama Network, a seminar series led by Professor Inderjeet Parmar and running workshops and public events throughout the year
Under the CIPS umbrella there are currently five main clusters of research projects:
- American Power in a Changing World led by Professor Inderjeet Parmar
- Foreign Policy Analysis led by Dr Amnon Aran
- Transnational Trends and Migration Issues led by Dr Christopher McDowell
Honorary Visiting Research Fellows
Dr Robert Pee - Independent Scholar; PhD U of Birmingham; researching US Democracy Promotion.
Dr Mark Ledwidge - Senior Lecturer in American Studies, Canterbury Christ Church University, Kent; PhD U of Manchester; researching Race and American Power.
Dr Juvaria Jafri - Postdoc, University of Cambridge; PhD City, University of London; researching philanthropy and global finance and development.
Apply for an Honorary appointment
CIPS encourages applications for honorary visiting staff appointments (Visiting Professors, Honorary Lecturers, Senior Lecturers, Fellows or Senior Fellows).
To apply for an honorary appointment, please request the relevant form and guidelines from CIPS@city.ac.uk